Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Post-Session Self-Reflection

At the end of each D&D session I run, I like to reflect on what I did well and what I did poorly. In what ways did my preparation pay off, and in what ways did I prepare more or less than I needed to? What should I do more, and what should I do less? This post-session self-reflection is helpful to me, as it lets me know how I can improve my DMing.

I sometimes do the same thing with my homework, with my tutoring, and with other things I do. It's good to look back on how we did and figure out how we could do better. No matter what we do or how well we do it, there is always something that can be gained by reflecting on our performance and considering how we might improve it the next time we perform again.

I find it beneficial and sometimes even important to practice such self-reflection as part of the practice I do. Without it, I don't think I'd improve as quickly, if at all. But thanks to this reflection, I am improving. It's a painstaking and occasionally painful process, but the progress and improvement I make are worth the time I spend reflecting.

No comments: