Saturday, June 11, 2022

Should I Have Killed the Cockroaches?

So, remember when spent half the night wondering about the morality of squashing a bee that had become debilitated? Since then, I have had two experiences with killing insects that had the appearance of cockroaches. The first, I caught at home, and I immediately thought of flushing it down the toilet, but I was persuaded to keep the insect contained (in a foodless, waterless, nearly air-tight container) so its body and identity could be more thoroughly examined and identified later. The second insect, I spotted away from home while vacuuming, and, having no other way to quickly contain the creature, I vacuumed it up. In both cases, I caused the death of an insect that was mostly minding its own business, and I didn't feel even remotely bad about either of them, mostly because I believed their were cockroaches.

What bothers me about this isn't that I'm so callous about killing roach-like insects, but that I'm okay with killing roach-like insects more willingly than insects like flies or bees. There's no moral consistency there. Why would I give cockroaches (or insects with the appearance of cockroaches) less moral consideration than flies or bees? Why would I give flies and bees more moral consideration than cockroaches? It's inconsistent and illogical. Unless there's a moral difference between bees and cockroaches, I should treat them similarly.

Granted, there could be moral differences that make bees more worth sparing than cockroaches. Bees assist in the pollination of plants and the production of honey. Bees bring more joy into the world than cockroaches do. If human happiness is the main moral factor to consider, and bees bring more happiness than cockroaches do, then cockroaches deserve less moral consideration. Then again, I don't know enough about cockroaches to confidently identify them, let alone list their positive and negative qualities. I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

However, I'm not sure it matters much. Neither bees nor cockroaches are human, so neither of them deserve anywhere near as much moral consideration as a human. The deaths of these insects are probably entirely inconsequential in the grant scheme of things. It's probably just fine that I killed the bee the other day, and it's probably just as fine that I killed these probably-cockroaches more recently. I don't know if I "should have" killed the cockroaches, but I'm sure it's okay that I did.

No comments: