Sunday, December 25, 2022

A Christmas Miracle

I can blog tonight. That's notable, both in contrast to last night and because, for a few hours there, it looked like I might not be able to blog, as I would have been in the hospital.

It had nothing to do with last night. After I threw up, blogged, and got some sleep, I actually felt fine this morning. The trouble came this evening, when a piece of meat from dinner got stuck in my esophagus and prevented me from completing my meal. This has happened before; usually the piece of food manages to go down (or come back up) after a short while, usually with some effort to drink water (or to undrink it, so to speak).

But this piece was tenacious. It remained stuck for hours, to the point where I was strongly considering going to the hospital to get their help in clearing my esophagus, by any means necessary. Yet, before we went, my sister thought it would be prudent to ask my brother to give me a blessing, and my brother and I agreed. Before the blessing, I tried to clear my tubes myself, to no avail. But after the blessing, as one last attempt before going to the hospital, I tried to clear my tubes, and this time, it actually worked.The blessing worked. My mom remarked that blessings don't normally work that quickly. She was our spokesperson in a prayer of thanks.

It seems somewhat small for a Christmas Miracle, but it may be a bigger miracle than it seems. We don't know how arduous a fate we were spared from. We also don't know what all effects this miracle will have. For now, I'm grateful that it happened and that I was blessed not to have to go to the hospital on Christmas. I know that others weren't so lucky. Being able to swallow again may seem like a small miracle, but I'm glad to have had it.

No comments: