Saturday, December 3, 2022

Subtle Hints

I'm currently helping my brother play an action-adventure puzzle game called Tunic, but it's a little tricky. Because it's a puzzle game, and much of the fun and challenge of the game is solving its puzzles for oneself, I'm limited in the amount of help I can provide without ruining the experience. Mostly, I've only been giving him subtle hints, and usually only when he asks for a hint or accepts my offer of a hint.

I imagine it's much the same with God. God knows what we need to do, but He expects us to figure it out mostly on our own, with minimal guidance from Him. Any more guidance than that which He gives us would probably ruin the experience of us making our own decisions and learning for ourselves. If we always knew what God wanted us to do, the choice would be binary: Do we obey God or not? There wouldn't be much for us to figure out, so we would never learn how to figure out for ourselves what we should do. Too much guidance would ruin the experience of life.

We need to be willing to accept that God's hints are horribly subtle at times, and at those times, it's up to us to figure things out on our own. Sure, we may wander and stumble a bit, but that's part of life, and God already has a plan in place to make it right. Just as I need to withhold guidance and keep my hints subtle in order to let Joe properly experience Tunic, God also needs to withhold guidance and keep His hints subtle so we can properly experience life.

No comments: