Monday, December 26, 2022

God's Time

Story time is weird. I sometimes write in an ongoing story I'm writing for myself, and the passage of time happens so strangely in this story. Today, I wrote a good deal, and the characters in the story went through weeks of experiences in what was only a few hours for me. At other times, I'm busy with other things, so the characters in the story can be stuck in a moment in time for days in real time, only for me to get a few minutes, advance their story by a few seconds, and make them wait another few days to see what happens next. I control the flow of time in their world. I can fast forward or skip through scenes if I find them uninteresting. I can backtrack to redo something I changed my mind about. I can write what's going to happen in their future and then build up a path that'll lead to that. I am their world's god of fate and time.

This makes me wonder how God sees fate and time in our world. Being omniscient, He can probably see every moment at once, past and future. Yet, He can also have an influence in real time. For example, when He cleared my esophagus immediately after I received a Priesthood Blessing last night, He knew exactly when to give me that blessing for maximum effect. Now, He might have set that up in advance, or He might have gone back from some point in the future and tweaked the result with the benefit of hindsight.

I have no idea how the flow of time works for God. Maybe we aren't supposed to have any idea how it works. Maybe it's supposed to be a mystery, or maybe the truth is so complex, our mortal minds can't wrap our heads around it. However it works, I'm just glad that it works and that God's timing, however He manages it, is almost always impeccable. I use the magics of authorship and editing to alter the flow of time in my world. I wonder how and how much God alters the flow of time in ours.

No comments: