Thursday, December 22, 2022

On Insults

I just heard someone describe terrorists as "cowardly," and it struck me that, whether the assessment was accurate or not, it certainly wasn't kind. I think I might have used the word "misguided," unless I was trying to argue or offend. Granted, terrorists tend to be our mortal enemies, not necessarily deserving of kindness, but in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said that we should "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you" (Matthew 5:44). This tells me that it is more Christlike to speak kindly of your enemies than it is to insult them.

Yet, Jesus Himself insulted people. In Matthew 23, for example, He called the scribes and Pharisees "hypocrites," "blind guides," "serpents," and "fools," and judging by the exclamation points, I doubt He was merely stating it as a matter of fact or as necessary and gentle correction. He was insulting them, even using a word that He specifically warned us against using. During the Sermon on the Mount, He said "but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire" (Matthew 5:22). So, I'm a little confused. Jesus' teachings suggest that it's wrong to insult people, yet His actions suggest that there are times when using insults is acceptable. I'm almost tempted to call Jesus a hypocrite, directly acting against one of His own teachings.

I'm not sure how to reconcile this. I'm convinced that it's wrong to insult people, but I'm not sure why it was justifiable for Jesus to do so. We know that Jesus never sinned, so whatever He did, it couldn't be sinful. So, is it not a sin to insult people? Is insulting others a sin with exceptions, like how "Thou shalt not kill" was given multiple exceptions throughout scripture?

Personally, I'm going to continue to try to refrain from insulting people, despite Jesus' example indicating that it may occasionally be justified. It seems like a bad habit, and I'd rather not take the risk. Besides, it isn't kind, and I think this world could use more kindness. I still consider it morally wrong to insult people, and I had thought that Jesus did, too.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I think that Jesus was calling them out rather than just insulting them. I suppose we might sometimes justify ourselves the same way, but I think Christ hoped to open their eyes and also to open the eyes of those who might be led wrong by them.