Friday, December 23, 2022

Vicarious Happiness

Today, I attended a gift exchange, but I wasn't part of the exchange. I didn't unwrap any gifts, and I didn't give anyone any gifts to unwrap. Yet, I still had a lovely time. I enjoyed seeing others give and receive gifts, and I think I felt some of their joy vicariously. Seeing their happiness made me happy.

This is, perhaps, one reason to want to make others happy. Emotions tend to spread. Misery begets misery, resulting in the adage that "misery loves company," and joy begets joy. Making one person happy can also make other people happy, including oneself.

Today, I experienced happiness just by being in the same room as people giving each other happiness. In the future, I will give other people happiness, and that happiness is going to spread.

No comments: