Tuesday, January 31, 2023

An Open and Critical Mind

The third chapter of one of my textbooks for this semester ends by extolling the virtue of having an open, yet critical mind. It's important to have a mind that's open to new ideas. Without such open minds, the Restoration could not have happened, and no one could actually investigate, let alone convert to, the church. Yet, we must also think critically. We must use logic and reason, experience and wisdom, honesty and truth. We must evaluate everything we read and hear, to do our part in helping God help us learn what's right and what's wrong.

I am trying to have an open and critical mind. I'm trying to listen to others sincerely and carefully, both to help me understand what they say and mean and to determine the truth of what they say and mean. As I've done so, I've felt the Spirit help me understand things that I wouldn't even have considered otherwise. I'm grateful to have learned truths that I never would have dreamed of,had I not had an open and critical mind.

No comments: