Saturday, January 28, 2023

Maintaining My Core Beliefs

While working on a blog post to which I am now too tired and too late to do justice, I was rereading some of my old blog posts and considering how my opinions have and haven't changed on some matters. I still hold beliefs that I feel are central to the core of my moral philosophy. I still believe in "Live and Let Live," and I still believe that you should "Act According to Your Beliefs," whether or not those beliefs correlate at all with mine. Some specific details may have changed, and I now consider some principles to be more or less important than I used to, but the core of my morality has remained unchanged for at least nine years.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about this. It could be a good sign, since it means that my beliefs are still proving wise, even as I become better at discerning what's wise. But on the other hand, it could be a bad sign, indicating that I'm not evaluating my beliefs thoroughly enough to identify and expunge the foolish beliefs that I was once foolish enough to hold. Thankfully, I'm somewhat comforted in the knowledge that some of my beliefs have changed, indicating a change in my wisdom. If my beliefs continue to stand up to scrutiny, even as I become better at evaluating wisdom, then I can be increasingly certain that they are actually wise.

I'm glad that my core beliefs are still my core beliefs. I may be wrong (and if I am, I hope I change my mind later), but I think that that's a good sign that I'm on the right track.

No comments: