Saturday, January 14, 2023

Utensil Repentance

Earlier this evening, I dropped a pair of tongs. I quickly recognized this as being no big deal. I shortly picked the tongs up and washed them. I recall thinking at the moment that we could do the same with spiritual missteps and near-instant repentance. If we recognize and correct our mistakes quickly enough, they don't need to be problems for long.

Later, I accidentally left a ladle if the sink as we left the place, not realizing my mistake until we got home. As "big deals" go, this one was slightly less infinitesimal. We had to drive all the way back to retrieve the ladle, which took time, gas, and effort.

The sooner we recognize and correct our missteps, the easier it is to do so. Yet, even when the problem had grown more substantial, fixing it was fairly simple and easy. Our problems are only as big as we make them and as we let them grow. The sooner we seek to correct our missteps, the easier it is to do so. Yet, even when time has elapsed and the problem has grown, it is never impossible to repent.

No comments: