Friday, January 13, 2023

Passing

Today, I took a Driver's Test (more specifically, the Knowledge portion) for the first time in 5 years. Thankfully, I passed the test, but only barely. I was allowed three skips, and I used all three of them. I could have gotten six questions wrong and still passed, and I missed five. Incidentally, when approaching another car with your highbeams on, you're supposed to shift to lowbeams when you're within 300 feet, not 500 feet (or was it the other way around?), assuming you can judge the difference between those distances while driving in the dark.

But regardless of how dangerously close I got to failing this test, I passed, and that's really all that matters at the end of the day. I got my Learner's Permit again. I can, under some circumstances, legally drive. My score was far from immaculate, but it was good enough to win the prize, same as if I had gotten every questions correct without having to skip any. In this case, and perhaps others, I didn't have to hold myself to the standard of absolute perfection. Being "good enough" was indeed good enough.

I know that I'm far from perfect, in many respects. We all are. All we can hope is that, as the end of the day, we're judged to be good enough to pass.

No comments: