Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Sure Source of Sympathy for Those Who Suffer

Sometimes God calms the storm, sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child.

I'm not sure who said it, but it's as true now as it always has been. God doesn't always shield His children from suffering, but He always offers personal peace.

I've been hearing about so many tragedies lately. Bombings, shootings, rape, bullying, suicide. It's depressing. This kind of thing doesn't usually affect me because it always happens so far away to people I don't know. I feel sorry for the victims, but I don't really have sympathy for them. I don't suffer with them as more tender-hearted people do. I've lived a very sheltered life. I don't know how they feel.

But lately, it's been starting to sink in. It's starting to become real to me that suffering is happening all over the place. And I'm scared because I know it's only a matter of time before some kind of disaster hits someone I truly care about.

By saying that, I don't mean to offend anyone I know who is suffering. I personally know at least a handful of people who are going through hard times, who need love and support and prayers. I don't mean to suggest that your trials "don't count" or anything like that. I just mean that...

Well, I guess the truth is that none of it has affected me yet. I'm very selfish, now that I think about it. I can hear about people suffering and not be moved by it because I'm so wrapped up in my own problems that I forget that other people have problems, too. I feel so much self-pity that I forget to have compassion for others. Getting down to the root of the problem, it seems that I don't really love very many people. I love myself. I love my Mom. But do I love my brothers and sisters, my fellow ward members, my neighbors? Do I feel sympathy for them? Not usually.

But, breaking free of my self-centeredness for a moment, there is at least one person who does care about others, who does feel sympathy, empathy, and genuine love. He may not solve all your problems, but He'll certainly solve one, if you ask Him. He'll put His arms around you and let you know you're not alone. I may not really care about your problems, but I know He does. He'll stand with you and help you endure your trials. He can help you stay strong and even become stronger. He can be a good friend.

We can all use a good friend like that from time to time, and especially when times are hard. Someone we can talk to, lean on, cry with. Someone who'll be there for us, through thick and thin, forever. We may not always be faithful to Him, to each other, or even to ourselves, but He will always be faithful to us. He is a Comforter. And we can all use some comfort sometimes.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Whenever I hear about these tragedies, or child abuse, animal cruelty, illness, fear, war, et cetera, et cetera, I suffer. I cry inside and sometimes outside. I think about it. But what GOOD does it do? I sign petitions. I once in a great while donate a pittance. I try to live a good life. But I don't know that it does those who suffer any good at all. And all my so-called sympathy doesn't do me much good either. For myself, I turn to comfort in the testimony that God does live. He knows each of us. He knows what is happening. It must hurt Him to see the pain even though to Him it is but a small moment. Somehow He sees and knows something that makes it worthwhile. Everything will be right SOMEDAY. I don't get it, but I have to trust in His eternal perspective. And hope that should the day come when the suffering more personal and not just something for which I have human sympathy, that I will have the faith to trust in and cling to Him.

All that is not fair in life can be made right through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I believe in Christ and will put my trust in Him.