Monday, April 22, 2013

Clouds With Silver Linings Inside Out

There's an unfortunate side-affect of spiritual events - Satan does something extra evil to counter it.

On April 6, B.C. 1 (or some time close to it), Jesus Christ was born. It was the most joyous event in the history of the world. Angels sang to shepherds. A new star led wise men to Bethlehem. And then what happened? King Herod slaughtered hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent children.

33 years later, Jesus Christ atoned for our sins, making redemption possible for all mankind. Then He was scourged and crucified.

He rose again on Resurrection Sunday, promising resurrection to all who had ever lived. And in the following years, His true church was persecuted into extinction, and the world fell into darkness.

In the 1830's, Christ restored His church through Joseph Smith. But we've all heard about the hardships he and the other early saints suffered after that.

On a much smaller scale, last night each Ward Choir in the Stake sang their testimonies, and hundreds of people, some of them non-members, felt the Spirit for what may have been the first time. I felt the Spirit pretty strongly. Then, last night, I woke up at three in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Right now I feel tired and groggy, both hungry and nauseous, both too hot and too cold. I'd love to just take the day off, but I have two homework assignments due, a 30 point quiz, and an obligation to help my Dad (he already paid me for this week, otherwise I would call him and let him know I'm not feeling well this week).

Not to be consumed by self-pity or anything, but I wonder why God lets this kind of thing happen. Why does God let Satan tarnish good experiences? I'm sure there's a reason. There's a reason for everything God does. I just wish I knew what it was.

Maybe God's trying to teach us something. (Isn't that always the answer?) Maybe God's trying to show us how important those events are by showing us how important Satan feels it is to ruin them.

For example, when Joseph Smith went into the grove now called sacred, to ask God which church was true, Satan did everything he could to stop him. Which begs the question - why should he care? If I wondered off into the woods to ask God which church was true, I'm pretty sure Satan wouldn't try to stop me. At least, he would try that hard, that directly. Because, odds are, my prayer wouldn't change the world the way Joseph Smith's did.

Satan put a sour note on the end of my choir experience last night because he doesn't want it to affect my salvation. He wants me to focus on the problems I'm having right now (minor weariness and a stomachache), and completely forget that I felt the Spirit last night. He wants me to lie down and "take it easy" today rather than rising up to the challenge and, in the strength of the Lord, doing all that is required of me.

Satan wants me to get discouraged and quit. Well, sorry pal, that isn't not going to happen.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

Andrew triumphant! the triumph is in the willingness to go forth and do. (Alma 8:15)

I hope you feel better soon.

Michaela Stephens said...

I've noticed the same phenomenon.

Satan wants to ruin our spiritual experiences and make us wonder if it was just a dream. It's part of that principle of "opposition in all things."