Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Highlights from Elder Scott's Talk

When I first "watched" Elder Richard G. Scott's talk on Saturday Afternoon, I was too distracted to notice what He was saying, and I certainly didn't take any notes. I resolved to rewatch the talk as soon as I could and take notes on the computer then. I'm really glad I did that. His was a very good talk.

Remember: little things lead to big things. Seemingly insignificant indiscretions or neglect can lead to big problems. More importantly, simple, consistent, good habits lead to a life full of bountiful blessings.

You remember the tomato plant. "Seemingly insignificant indiscretions or neglect," such as forgetting to water the plant for a while, "can lead to big problems." But on the other hand, "simple, consistent, good habits" like watering it faithfully and making sure it gets enough light can lead to great blessings.

The same goes with our spirits. Our souls need constant nourishment in order to be strong. If we neglect them, we will be weaker than we should be, and unhappiness will be the result. But if we feed them frequently through prayer and scripture study, they will be strong enough to resist temptation and choose the right, and we will be happy.

Satan is no match for the Savior... Stay on the Lord’s side, and you will win every time.
We "stay on the Lord's side" by striving to keep the commandments. We don't always have to succeed, which is lucky because we won't always succeed, but the Lord wants us to try. The more we try, to stronger we'll get, and the more likely it becomes that we'll succeed.

I've heard it said that will-power is like a muscle. The more we exercise it, the stronger it gets. The more we resist temptation and strive to keep the commandments, the more capable we will become.

Also, if we're trying to do what the Lord wants us to do, He may pull some strings in our favor. If I want to blog and God wants me to blog, He may put a McDonald's in my path, just to make it possible. If you want to be righteous and if God wants you to be righteous, between the two of you, I'm sure you'll find a way.

I have learned a truth that has been repeated so frequently in my life that I have come to know it as an absolute law. It defines the way obedience and service relate to the power of God. When we obey the commandments of the Lord and serve His children unselfishly, the natural consequence is power from God—power to do more than we can do by ourselves. Our insights, our talents, our abilities are expanded because we receive strength and power from the Lord.

I don't know this truth as strongly as Elder Scott does, but I do have some faith in it. I know that God blesses our righteous efforts and will strengthen us as we try to follow Him. I know that God loves us and that He wants us to succeed in life. And I know that when we follow Him, things work out much better than when we don't.

No comments: