Tuesday, April 9, 2013

...Or Not - The Parabolic Paladin

So what does this do to my desire to see myself as a Paladin? I am a son of God. Can I be both a son of God and a Paladin? Would seeing myself as a Paladin diminish my view of myself as a son of God, or would seeing myself as a Paladin improve my self-image as a son of God? If the Paladin I picture myself as being has a very strong testimony that he is a son of God, I think some of his testimony might carry over to me.

Still, God is a God of truth. And, speaking literally, I am not, nor ever will be, a Paladin. However, God often speaks figuratively, too. I don't think Jesus Christ was ever literally a Shepherd, and he was certainly never a Lamb. He is neither bread nor water, but figuratively speaking, He is the Living Water and the Bread of Life. I'm not literally a Paladin. But figuratively...?

The Paladin could be a symbol for the kind of son/disciple of God I want to be. If we imagine wrestling against temptation as struggling against some enemy, and overcoming temptation as defeating that enemy, then why not picture the triumphant hero as a warrior of some kind, perhaps a Paladin, clad in the Armor of God?

There are many virtues to being a Paladin. Paladins are strong and heavily armored (they have strong testimonies). They're blessed with holy magic that can heal them (like the Atonement heals our souls). They are particularly effective against undead creatures (evil spirits, tempters). The bulk of their strength comes from divine magic (they rely on the Lord), which they obtain through faithfulness to strict moral codes (keeping the commandments). Paladins are often seen as examples to others ("Ye are the light of the world"). They're natural leaders, and are known for encouraging others to be righteous as well (as missionaries do).

There are many good things about Paladins. Then would it not be a good thing to see myself as one of them?

Yet somehow, deep down, it just doesn't feel right. I feel like, since there are no real Paladins, picturing myself as a Paladin will never feel real. That part of the equation will always be and feel imaginary. And I can't afford to have any part of my testimony be fictional. Bishop Davies spoke of concrete, and how it has to have a perfect mixture of the right ingredients to be strong. One wrong inclusion or exclusion and the concrete won't be as strong as it could be. If I set my heart on being a Paladin, I'll probably lead myself astray.

I am not a Paladin.

But I can, and should, be like a Paladin. All those virtues I listed are traits that I should try to develop. I should rely on the Lord and the power of His Atonement to defeat the evil spirits that tempt me. I should be faithful and zealous for keeping the commandments, just as the people of Ammon were. I should be true in all things wherewith I am entrusted, just like the Stripling Warriors, just like a Paladin.

Suppose this whole concept of "being a Paladin" is more of a parable than an accurate description. Maybe it's a metaphor. You know how much I love metaphors. Some parts of the metaphor are, or should be, literally true (possessing qualities like faithfulness and steadfastness), while other parts are less-closely related to reality (smiting evil-doers with holy magic). Still, I find it an inspiring image.

There was a "war" in heaven and it's continuing on Earth. If I'm going to participate and make a difference, I'm going to want to be the toughest kind of "warrior" I can be. And the strongest kind of warrior I can think of is a Paladin. We're not literally "at war," we're not literally warriors, and I'm not literally a Paladin. But figuratively, in some ways, maybe I am.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Did not an authorized, inspired Patriarch say you are a soldier or a warrior (I forget which)? I think you are a Paladin.