Thursday, April 18, 2013

"In Me Ye Shall Have Peace"

Yesterday, I watched some of Elder Quentin L. Cook's  talk on the subject of personal peace. This morning, I watched the rest of it. Here are my highlights:

We all long for peace. Peace is not just safety or lack of war, violence, conflict, and contention. Peace comes from knowing that the Savior knows who we are and knows that we have faith in Him, love Him, and keep His commandments, even and especially amid life’s devastating trials and tragedies.

We all participated in the councils of heaven that provided for moral agency, knowing that there would be mortal pain and even unspeakable tragedy because of the abuse of agency. We understood that this could leave us angry, bewildered, defenseless, and vulnerable. But we also knew that the Savior’s Atonement would overcome and compensate for all of the unfairness of mortal life and bring us peace.
(This reminds me of Mom's comment from yesterday. If you haven't read it yet, you should.)

***

We earnestly hope and pray for universal peace, but it is as individuals and families that we achieve the kind of peace that is the promised reward of righteousness.

For those who reject God, there is no peace.
(Emphasis Added. I found this phrase particularly powerful the first time I heard it. The next two paragraphs explain this bold statement.)

Many search for peace in worldly ways, which never have and never will succeed. Peace is not found by attaining great wealth, power, or prominence. Peace is not found in the pursuit of pleasure, entertainment, or leisure. None of these can, even when attained in abundance, create any lasting happiness or peace.

The answer is the Savior, who is the source and author of peace. He is the “Prince of Peace.”

Repentance and living righteously allow for peace of conscience, which is essential for contentment. When there has been a major transgression, confession is required to bring peace. Perhaps there is nothing to compare with the peace that comes from a sin-wracked soul unloading his or her burdens on the Lord and claiming the blessings of the Atonement.
(Emphasis Added.)

***

Even with the trials of life, because of the Savior’s Atonement and His grace, righteous living will be rewarded with personal peace.

Eliza R. Snow penned this concept beautifully:

Lift up your hearts in praise to God;
Let your rejoicings never cease.
Though tribulations rage abroad,
Christ says, “In me ye shall have peace.”
(Beautiful song. I should go see if I can play it.)

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I don't know if it is my skeptical, cynical nature, but sometimes I think that although Heavenly Father explained it all do us very clearly, we just didn't get it. I think that he used words that had no real meaning for us. Physical pain for instance. I doubt that I had a clue. I have been fortunate to have limited experience with pain in this life, but I can tell you, I don't like it one bit, and I don't handle it particularly well. Still.... if I had understood, would I have voted differently? what would I have chosen? Following Satan was clearly NOT the answer, persuasive as he must have been. I was (WE were) strong and wise enough to know that flat out rebelling against Father was not a good idea. Was just staying the way we were an option? I can almost see me taking that one. But ultimately, going forward with faith was the only real choice, despite the risk and pain. Now, if I can only remember and stick to it.