Thursday, April 4, 2013

Agency - Green and Red Branches

I read an interesting thing in the Ensign the other day. Actually, it was yesterday, wasn't it? It feels like it was longer ago. Anyway, here's what I read: "Our choice in this life is not whether we will or will not be subject to any power. Our choice is to which authority we will yield obedience: God's or Satan's... If it is not one, it is necessarily the other." - Elder D. Todd Christofferson

I don't think I like this doctrine. It seems to contradict the concept of agency. Instead of being free to choose any path we want out of thousands of options, we really have only two options, and both of them are to yield obedience to another.

Picture a tree with many branches. And each of those branches have many sub-branches, and so on, resulting in countless paths leading to countless twigs. Now picture a tree with only two branches - no sub-branches. In this tree, there are only two paths - God's and Satan's (We'll mark God's branch Green and Satan's branch Red).

Not much of a choice, is it? Yet we know that life isn't like that. We know that there are countless options, countless paths. Sure, God advocates for some and Satan advocates others, but many paths fall into a 'grey area,' don't they? Return to the tree with many branches. Mark one branch Green and another branch Red. Leave the other branches Brown. Couldn't we, if we wanted to, follow one of the Brown branches?

Perhaps it's that there's one, true, good path (marked Green) and Satan would be happy with any choice we make, as long as it's not that one. So there's one Green branch, and all the other branches are Red?

I don't like that. I don't like that at all.

Yet, when we seek answers to prayers, sometimes God doesn't answer us, and there are a number of different reasons for that. Sometimes, God trusts us enough to make the right choice even without His guidance in the matter. Sometimes both options we're asking about are bad, so God can't say "do this" or "do that" because He cannot lead us down either wrong path. But sometimes, but of the options are about equally good, so God lets us choose whichever good path we prefer. There's more than one Green branch.

So, let's say you have a tree where half of the branches are Green and the other half of the branches are Red. There are still countless branches and you can choose whichever path you want. But in another sense, there are only two options; you can chose a Green branch or a Red branch. If you're not on a Green branch, you're on a Red branch. If you're not following God, you're following Satan.

Is that true? It makes sense, sort of. But I always thought there was some... you know... wiggle room. I thought that some options were kinda good and kinda bad, or sort of neutral. Either a mix of Green and Red, or neither color (Brown). Maybe some things are.

Let's say that there are some Brown branches on our Half-Green, Half-Red tree. Let's split the colors evenly, so they each get a third of the branches. The Green branches lead to heaven, the Celestial Kingdom. The Red branches lead to hell. Where do the Brown branches lead? The Terrestrial Kingdom? But if they lead there, wouldn't they be Green?

The trouble with speculation is that, even though it's fun, and you feel like you're getting somewhere, you're not actually learning anything you didn't already know. And I don't know where Brown branches would lead.

I think that, for any branch of any color, God either does or does not want you to follow it, so either it's Green or it's not. And Satan would probably encourage the opposite, just out of opposition to God (If it's not Green, Satan will turn it Red). So we're back to having only two options.

Dang it, Elder Christofferson was right. >_<

So, I think I understand it now, but I still don't like it. I like agency. I like freedom. I like feeling like I have a choice. Now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either I do something difficult, or I fail. Either I follow God's path, which is often harder than it sounds, or I end up... somewhere else. I want a path that not as difficult as God's path, but that doesn't lead to hell either. What I want is now impossible.

Plan B: I want to be stronger than I am. I want to have more wisdom and will-power. I want to be able to follow God's path. In theory, God always makes it possible. He made it possible for me to blog in McDonalds. He'll probably make it possible for me to follow His path. He probably already has. I just wish I had enough will-power to choose the right path and stay on it.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

I think we are hiking in the mountains. Some paths seem very difficult, but they lead to the best vistas. Some paths seem lovely, but they lead to dead ends, cliffs, or back down to the valley. (Normally, a valley can be a very nice place, but right now we are trying to get to the top) Along most paths there are many opportunities to leave the path and go to another one. From higher path, we can decide it is too much work and slide down any number of side paths. From a lower path, we can turn around or find an off-shoot taking us to the higher path. They are usually even harder than the original high path, but we can do it. There are hand holds. Sometimes even other hikers reaching out to help, or lowering ropes from the heights they have achieved. They cannot just pull us up, but they can help us climb. There are many choices available, but if we have a goal, that narrows down the choices that will get us there. We are free to choose whatever path we want, but we cannot choose to change where those paths lead.

- You are doing better than you think. Keep walking.

Michaela Stephens said...

Willpower is not enough.
And weakness is not sin.

You might really like the book "Weakness is not Sin" by Wendy Ulricht.
If you go to that book's page on the Deseret Book website, you can read the first chapter or so. I think you'd really like it. (I know it revolutionized the way I thought about weakness.)

http://deseretbook.com/Weakness-Not-Sin-Liberating-Distinction-Awakens-Our-Strengths-Wendy-Ulrich/i/5021780