Friday, April 26, 2013

Study by Topic According to Needs

I don't have much time this morning. I promised I'd be over to help with a yard sale by 7. I'll have to leave at 6:45 minutes, at the latest.

I think I need to work on my faith, and by faith, I mean trust in God.  I need to remember that He is real, that He does speak through His prophets, and that He doesn't lie. These last two days, I've posted bizarre, yet agreeable theories that I really wish were true (just because it'd make so much sense, or would be a lot nicer than the truth), but which I know are not true. God has spoken on these subjects. His word is final. I just need to accept that what He said is true.

I think I need to spend more time in the scriptures, and by scriptures, I mean General Conference talks (because the messages are often so much clearer in Conference talk than in written scriptures). We've been counseled to study by topic to have effective scripture study. So far, in my reading and blogging about this last Conference's talks, I've just been going down the list. And it's not that there's anything wrong with going down the list; the messages are still there and I'm still reading them, but am I getting the right message at the right time? What good will it do to read and write about the Law of Chastity when what I need is a message on Faith?

At least, I assume what I need is a message on faith. I feel less confident than I should be that what the prophets say and have said is true. I sometimes see it as good advice that would be helpful to follow rather than commandments of God that I'll be blessed by Him for obeying. Actually, I may even be forgetting that God is involved in this process at all. Wise people giving good advice, or Prophets receiving and repeating the word of God? I need to remember how important this is.

So, what kind of talk should I search for? What should I type into the search bar at LDS.org? Faith? Testimony? Trust? Trust might be a good one.

Okay, I just tried it and man, did that work! There are at least half a dozen General Conference talks that talk about Trust in God. Odds are at least one of them will say something that I really need to hear. At least one of them is going to help me increase my faith and trust.

And once I've solved this spiritual problem I've been struggling with, I'll go back to this most recent General Conference and keep going down the list.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Read, study, ponder, PRAY. He has promised answers to the sincere seeker. Take Him up on that. Either He is real and true and will answer, or the whole thing is not real. Oh, I shudder to think!
My problem with prayer is having faith (vicious circle here?), feeling that I am sincere enough. But Alma said, even if you can no more than desire to believe - if you have the smallest bit of faith. (Alma 32:27)
Something we both need to work on.