Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Elder Craig A. Cardon - Repeating Repentance

I was just thinking, "I'd like to write about Elder Cardon's talk, but I want to wait until they post the text of the talk, so I can quote it easily." Guess what? They've posted the text. ^^ Just half a week after the talk was given, the entire talk was written down and posted online for all the world to read. Awesome.

Said he: The Son of Man forgives sins! While this truth is readily accepted by all believers, not so easily acknowledged is the essential companion truth: the Savior forgives sins 'upon earth' and not just at the Final Judgment.
Have you ever heard the phrase "Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing"? I think forgiving our sins while we're still human is kinda like that. God and I both know that I'm not perfect. We know that I'm going to keep making mistakes, sometimes the same ones repeatedly, for as long as I live.
Yet, in His mercy, He allows for improvement over time rather than demanding immediate perfection. Even with the multitude of sins occasioned by the weakness of mortality, as often as we repent and seek His forgiveness, He forgives again and again.
The part that I have trouble with is the definition of repentance. D&C 58: 43 reads, "By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them." I can confess my sins alright, but some sins are difficult to forsake. Some sins are attached to the "recurring human weakness" Elder Cardon spoke of earlier in his talk. Sometimes I feel that I can't be forgiven of my sins because I can't truly repent of them, because I lack the will-power to forsake the sins that assail me. Yet, Elder Cardon also teaches:
As we humbly seek this precious gift [the enabling power of the Atonement], 'weak things become strong unto [us],' and by His strength, we are made able to do that which we could never do alone.
Perhaps I can't forsake my sins on my own. Perhaps I do lack that will-power. Maybe I'm right about this. But if God applies the enabling power of the Atonement to me, maybe I can gain the strength to forsake my sins. I think now I'm beginning to understand what Elder Cardon said toward the beginning of his talk:
In this forgiveness we see the enabling and the redeeming power of the Atonement harmoniously and graciously applied. If we exercise faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the enabling power of His Atonement strengthens us in our moment of need, and His redeeming power sanctifies us as we “[put] off the natural man.” This brings hope to all, especially to those who feel that recurring human weakness is beyond the Savior’s willingness to help and to save.
In our hearts, there must be the willingness to forsake our sins, even if the ability is beyond us. If we have the willingness, God can give us the strength, with which we can truly forsake our sins. God knows that we're not perfect. He knows that we'll continue to stumble time and time again, but as God told Alma the Elder: as often as my people repent, will I forgive them their trespasses against me.

The Lord wants to forgive.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Amen
How great the goodness of our God! How loving and patient. And I sure need that patience!