Saturday, July 10, 2021

Asking for Help

I am of the opinion that if you want help, you should ask for it, and if you don't ask for help, you have no one but yourself to blame for not getting it. Case in point, I am the Brighton Ward Building Cleaning Coordinator. It is my job to call up as many "volunteers" as I need on a given week, organize them, and assist them in the work of cleaning the church building. I don't do that. With very few exceptions, I have elected not to ask for assistance, with the understanding that I would just clean the building myself. I generally prefer it that way. Calling people is unpleasant, and cleaning is calming. I like cleaning the building, and I don't mind not having help in doing it. Naturally, that may change now that we're reopening and using the entire building again. But that just brings me back to my original point. If I want help, and if I want it badly enough to do what it takes to get it, I will ask for it.

I wonder how that mentality applies to me and God. God and I both want things from each other. He wants my obedience, and I want peace. He wants me to help Him with His works, and I want Him to help me with mine. We've both asked each other for help, but I'm now wondering whether that's enough. God merely asking me or assigning me to do something isn't always enough motivation for me to actually do it, and I can ask God for help until I'm blue in the face, but He's not going to give me blessings that I haven't earned or aren't good for me. Maybe I'm not supposed to have peace. I'm getting off topic.

Anyhow, merely asking isn't always enough. Sometimes, we need to offer some incentive. Not all people are willing to help others just out of the goodness of their hearts, and those who do can get burned out if there isn't some reciprocity. Then again, by the same token as those who want help, I suppose if one wants some reciprocity, remuneration, or even thanks, maybe one should ask.

The bottom line is that if you want something, you should at least ask for it, and if you really want it, it might help to offer something in return.

No comments: