Saturday, July 31, 2021

Charisma

Charisma is one of the six main traits of all creatures in D&D. All creatures have a Charisma Score, which determines their Charisma Modifier, which they add to all their Charisma-based Attacks, Saving Throws, and Ability Checks. Charisma is useful in social interactions through the Deception, Intimidation and Persuasion Skills, but it's also used in Performance checks, such as acting, singing, and playing musical instruments. Charisma is especially important for Charisma-based Spellcasters, including Bards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and, you guessed it, Paladins.

Given that Paladins rarely use Deception or Performance, and they tend to reserve Intimidation for their enemies, Paladins most often use their Charisma for their magic and for Persuasion, which I interpret fairly broadly. In my personal life, I use Persuasion to form and maintain positive relationships between people and to try to be polite. Granted, I don't always succeed in doing this, but I almost always try, and I think I tend to succeed.

I think that Charisma is an important skill because it helps us maintain relationships stronger than those maintained through Intimidation. It's good to be friendly, and it's important to be polite. I know that not all people have high Charisma Scores, but I think that's it's still important for people to make their Persuasion checks to try to maintain their relationships and practice courtesy. It's important to be kind, and inasmuch as kindness requires Skill Checks, Charisma is probably the applicable skill.

I'm grateful that I seem to have decent Charisma and that I know how to use it to be kind.

No comments: