Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Physical Assistance

One thing that occurred to me yesterday, and was relevant to my life again today, is that, even though God has a physical body, His body isn't usually on Earth with us, as far as I know. God can help us with spiritual matters, but when it comes to physical matters, we can't expect Him to come down here, toll up His sleeves, and join us in the physical work. He can be with us in spirit, but if anything physical needs doing, we have to do it ourselves.

Perhaps that's why the church and its teachings (at least from the perspective of a member of an Elder's Quorum) place such an emphasis on service opportunities. As Uchtdorf said, we are the Lord's hands. He's not going to come down here to mow lawns or shovel snow or help anyone move from one house to another. When He wants to help people physically, He does it through the service of people like us.

I have been blessed with the ability to render physical assistance and with a sporadic desire and a tendency to do so. By offering physical help, I help others in a way that even God doesn't. Of course, that's not to say that I'm better than God. God helps way more people than I do in ways that I can't. Still, it's nice to have a niche. We're part of a team. God helps everyone in ways that only He can, and I help those around me in a way that He can't or doesn't. Together, we help people in every way possible. It's just that, sometimes, the help that God offers has to come through physical, mortal beings like us.

No comments: