Friday, October 14, 2022

A Timely Visit

Tomorrow morning, I'll get to see my friend again. It's been about a month since he's been diagnosed with leukemia, and he's been in the hospital ever since, until this afternoon. And now I finally get a chance to spend time with him again, to help him get his life back together, to maybe play Mario Kart with him again, or to just enjoy each other's company again. It's been a month since he's had in-person contact with anyone outside his own family and some medical professionals, and I think he has missed simply being with people. I know I've missed hanging out with him.

Visiting my friend again for the first time in a long time, I realize that this only feels special since it's been a long time since I was able to visit him. What of the people I see every day, or every week? It's strange how it stops feeling special to spend time with the people we care about when we can see them all the time. Yet, we don't really see each other, do we? We send time around each other, but we don't really spend time with each other. Perhaps, if we watched less YouTube and TV and spent more time actually interacting with each other, that feeling might be different.

I'm glad I'll get to spend some time with my best friend tomorrow. And I hope, in the future, to spend more quality time with my family, too.

No comments: