Friday, October 14, 2022

Indirect Blessings

One thing that I've learned is that blessings don't need to be direct. God doesn't come down from Heaven to literally hand us blessings, and He doesn't send angels as delivery workers. God blesses us through the earth and the sky and through the actions of those who follow His teachings and example. 

Meanwhile, we don't bless God directly, either. Sure, we pray to Him directly, but that's really more of a "Thank You" note than a real blessing. When we serve God, we do so by serving other people. We bless God by blessing His children, just as He blesses us through the blessings He showers on the earth.

For a long time, I had wished I could have a more direct relationship with God, but I've learned that I don't really need one. Yes, we can and should talk to each other directly, but we don't need the direct, semi-transactional, almost physical interaction that I had been hoping for. Indirect blessings work fine. I can continue to bless God by helping other people, and I can accept blessings from God through other people.

God gives me plenty of blessings, perhaps even all the blessings I've been asking for. He's just been giving me them indirectly.

No comments: