Saturday, March 13, 2021

An Unfortunate Duration of Effort

When President Nelson spoke of how "Everything to do with becoming more like the Savior is difficult," that's not all he said about it. He also said, "It takes effort, a lot of hard work, a lot of study, and there’s never an end. That’s good! That’s good, because we’re always progressing. Even in the next life we’re making progress."

I'm not 100% sure I agree with the prophet's assessment of how endless hard word is a good thing. I'm not too keen on it, personally. My hope is, and for quite some time has been, that I could reach a comfortable point in my eternal progression and then take a nice, long break - perhaps not a permanent one, but a restful one. I want rest. I want peace. I want there to be an end to the struggle between my physical and spiritual selves. Almost a year ago, I said, "When I die, I want the words 'Rest in Peace' to be said or written somewhere near my remains, because my fondest dream is that God will let me." That's still true. I still want to "Rest in Peace" when I die.

But it sounds like that's not what God has in store for me, or for anyone. He still wants us to become perfect, to become Gods and Goddesses, and to carry on the work of creation into the eternities. He wants us to become like Him. I just wonder if He is, or ever can be, okay with us choosing not to do that. Would God forgive me if I decide not to carry on the family business? I'm okay with doing anything I have to do to earn my place in heaven, but once I've done that, I'll be satisfied. Will He be?

I'm worried that the answer may be "no." I'm worried that God won't be satisfied with letting me rest once I get to heaven. I'm worried that, with this attitude, I might not get to heaven at all. I'm worried that, for all His talk about the importance of agency, not following His plan for us isn't an acceptable option. I'm worried that God will never let me rest.

I don't want an afterlife with endless effort and hard work. If that's the afterlife that God is offering us, I'm really not sure I want it.

No comments: