Wednesday, March 3, 2021

In the Absence of Personal Revelation

I don't know if I received revelation today. I felt some amount of peace, but few specific impressions. Thankfully, I know what to do in instances like these. In the absence of revelation, the best thing to do is to study out your situation (preferably done before seeking revelation), make a decision, seek confirmation, and (if no inspiration warns you away from this course of action) proceed with the faith that God won't let you go too far down the wrong road without some kind of warning.

Sometimes, God doesn't give us the answers to our questions. Sometimes, that's because He knows we already know that answer. Sometimes, it's because He trusts us to find our answer on our own. Sometimes, it ultimately doesn't matter what choice is made, like whether I have Frosted Mini Wheats or Honey Bunches of Oats for breakfast tomorrow. God won't tell me what cereal to eat tomorrow because it doesn't matter. God won't tell me explicitly whether He exists or not because He knows I already know. And God didn't tell me how to resolve the heavy matter I mentioned last night, perhaps because He trusted me to make a good decision myself.

So, if God trusts me, I'm going to trust myself, too. And if it turns out that our trust was misplaced, I trust that God will warn me of that fact before it's too late.

No comments: