Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Is God Omnipotent?

Here's a hot take: I don't think God is Omnipotent. I think that there are certain things that God cannot do. I think that the scriptures that say that God has "All Power" are either exaggerating or speaking in specific contexts. God, of course, has a tremendous amount of power, especially over His own domains, and that power if functionally unlimited, as far as we need to be concerned most of the time. 

Yet, I believe that there are laws of justice that even God Himself has to obey. Even God cannot break the laws of justice and escape the consequences. Alma 42:25 "What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice? I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God."

Granted, I think God can break the laws of justice. He has the power to do so, as do we. He just can't escape the consequences of doing so any more than we can.

There are laws that govern the universe, laws that existed before God was formed, and even God has to obey those laws or suffer the consequences. So, no, I don't consider God Omnipotent. There are some things that even God cannot do, because even God can't break the rules and get away with it.

No comments: