Friday, March 19, 2021

Two Tips for Superior Scripture Study

In his talk entitled Be Strong in the Lord, Elder M. Russell Ballard gave some good advice regarding scripture study. Of particular note, he advised us to study "for a set amount of time rather than to just read a chapter or a certain number of pages" and to study "topically as well as chronologically." Essentially, he advised us to spend time in the scriptures, following our own inspiration to determine where and what to study next, and not just to plow through the scriptures, one chapter after another, reading from one end of the book to the other. If we study what interests us and what we are inspired to study, we're more likely to find messages that will sink in, that will be directly pertinent to us, and that will be remembered and applied. I plan to follow this advice in my personal scripture study (insomuch as I remember to study the scriptures at all). Hopefully, it'll help me have a more personal experience with the scriptures, and it'll help me find messages that apply to me and that I can apply in my life.

By studying as directed by the Spirit and my own questions, and by studying for a period of time rather than reading a set amount of pages or chapters, I hope to make my personal scripture study a bit more personal.

No comments: