Tuesday, March 23, 2021

"Everlasting Fire"

D&C 29:26 But, behold, verily I say unto you, before the earth shall pass away, Michael, mine archangel, shall sound his trump, and then shall all the dead awake, for their graves shall be opened, and they shall come forth—yea, even all.

27 And the righteous shall be gathered on my bright hand unto eternal life; and the wicked on my left hand will I be ashamed to own before the Father; 
28 Wherefore I will say unto them—Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
So, this kind of confuses me. As far as I know, the "everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" is Outer Darkness, yet I thought most of the wicked would go to the Telestial Kingdom:

D&C 76:81 And again, we saw the glory of the telestial, which glory is that of the lesser, even as the glory of the stars differs from that of the glory of the moon in the firmament. 
82 These are they who received not the gospel of Christ, neither the testimony of Jesus. 
83 These are they who deny not the Holy Spirit. 
84 These are they who are thrust down to hell.

But as I was looking up these scriptures, I saw a verse that might explain this:

D&C 76:85 These are they who shall not be redeemed from the devil until the last resurrection, until the Lord, even Christ the Lamb, shall have finished his work.

So, while the wicked will ultimately end up in the Telestial Kingdom, it seems like they'll spend some time with the devil first. I don't know whether that'll happen in Spirit Prison or in Outer Darkness, but either way, it's only temporary. They will be "thrust down to hell" and cast out "into everlasting fire," but then they shall be "redeemed from the devil [at] the last resurrection."

That comforts me a bit, not for my own sake (personally, I'm aiming for Terrestrial or better), but for the sake of the rest of mankind. I don't want anyone to suffer, and I certainly don't want them to suffer forever. I'm glad to know that, despite God's threats, only a handful of people are going to suffer for eternity. Almost everyone, even the most wicked of us, will still end up in a Kingdom of Glory. I think that's merciful, and I'm glad God shows that much mercy, even to the wicked.

No comments: