Monday, June 21, 2021

100/100

I've heard it said that it's not enough for a marriage to be 50/50. If each partner gives what they think is 50 percent, there will be less than 100 percent total, and they will each blame each other for not contributing enough. However, when each partner gives 100 percent, when they each devote their whole lives and souls to each other, then there will be more than enough for both of them.

I believe that the same is true for our relationship with God. God is 100 percent devoted to us and our eternal welfare, but that alone is not enough. To achieve salvation and eternal life, it's not enough for Him to be 100 percent devoted to us. We must also be 100 percent devoted to Him.

This is one of the many concepts I've blogged about that I have struggled with and sometimes continue to struggle with. I am reluctant to let myself be or become 100 percent devoted to anyone or anything, at least not unless I know what I'm getting in return. I tend to reserve full commitment until I know what blessings are promised in return from my commitment. Essentially, I've been trying to have a 50/50 relationship with God.

Naturally, this doesn't work. Withholding commitment from God deprives us of some of His choicest blessings. And besides, a half-commitment is hardly any commitment at all. If we want our relationship with God to work out, we need to show Him as much devotion as He shows us. We need to give 100 percent to God, the same as He gives 100 to us. As we do so, we'll strengthen our relationship with God and hasten our progress toward living with Him again.

Trying to have a 50/50 relationship with God doesn't work, so far as I've tried it. The only way a relationship like this can work is if both parties give 100 percent.

No comments: