Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Deeds and Rewards

D&C 64:11 And ye ought to say in your hearts—let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds.

The context of this verse was the injunction for wronged individuals to forgive those who have wronged them, trusting that God would reward the wrong-doer(s)'s evil deeds with punishment, but really, God rewards everyone according to their deeds. Those who do good receive additional blessings. Those who do evil are punished. That's justice. Everyone is rewarded according to their deeds.

There have been times when I tried to negotiate with God, agreeing to keep certain commandments or perform certain acts of service only if He would give me certain blessings for doing so. I now realize that I may have been wasting my breath. God always blesses those who do good. I may not have gotten the exact blessings I wanted, but God knows what I need and want, and He was bound to have blessed me with something. I didn't need to negotiate. The fact that I'd be blessed was a given. People are always rewarded according to their deeds. The only exceptions are wrong-doers who repent.

We don't really need to worry about making sure we or others get their just desserts. God's got it covered. Thanks to the Final Judgement and God's granting of various blessings, both here and hereafter, justice is basically a given. All people will be rewarded according to their deeds, whether they be good or whether they be evil. So, let's do good deeds and not worry too much about the past deeds of others. God sees all our deeds and will reward everyone accordingly.

No comments: