Saturday, April 16, 2022

Indefensible and Irredeemable

For a while now, I've had this idea for a show called Indefensible. The main character would be a defense lawyer, defending people who had done, or at least been accused of, terrible things. Sometimes, the show would be a classic legal drama; our client is innocent, but the evidence looks bad, and the client is difficult, nigh impossible, to defend against the false accusation. Sometimes, the show will be a redemption story; our client is guilty, but our protagonist tries to help them change their ways so this doesn't happen again, and by the end of the episode, whether the case is won or lost, our client is on a path toward healing. And sometimes, the show is a morality tale, displaying the impossible position our protagonist is put in; our client is guilty and unrepentant, and their actions are morally reprehensible, but our protagonist has to defend them anyway, partly out of duty to the law, and partly because they believe that, deep down, there's some good in everyone, and everyone, or at least almost everyone, deserves a second chance. I could see a whole lot of drama coming out of a show like this, and a lot of that drama would come from trying to redeem the irredeemable, at least from the grasp of justice, but preferably also from their criminal behavior.

Of course, in real life, such drama plays out in courts all over the country and in other parts of the world. There are countless defense lawyers, and they defend all sorts of people, from falsely accused innocents to wayward wrongdoers to unrepentant sociopaths. Somehow, real people really do (or at least attempt to) defend the indefensible, and I'd like to think that some of them also try to redeem the irredeemable.

Similarly, Jesus Christ does the same for everyone. Through His Atonement, Jesus Christ paid the price for all our sins, and at the Final Judgment, He is our advocate, trying to get those sins wiped off our record, whether we deserve such a mercy or not. By the law of justice, we are all indefensible and irredeemable, but Jesus tries to defend and redeem us anyway, and I want to believe that He often succeeds.

I'm sure I'll still have some lingering sins on my record when I die. Nobody's perfect, and some sins are harder to shake than others. So, when I reach Final Judgment, I'm glad I'll have Someone on my side who has experience defending the indefensible and redeeming the irredeemable, because I would be irredeemable without the power of His Atonement, and I hope that, by His grace, I can be redeemed.

No comments: