Sunday, January 5, 2020

Book of Mormon Stories

More likely than talking about being a witness for the Book of Mormon, I might do something simpler, easier, and more fun with the Primary class. Since we're going to spend the year studying The Book of Mormon, we might spend the first class period discussing our favorite Book of Mormon stories. For instance, I love the story of when Captain Moroni had the army of Zerahemnah surrounded at the river Sidon. Both sides of that conflict acted fairly honorably, demonstrating good examples of how I ought to conduct myself.

I also love the story of Nephi and his brothers trying to get the Brass Plates from Laban. I'm a big fan of D&D, and this story is the one story I've found that most closely resembles a D&D game. The party has a quest to go get a thing from a place, they cast lots (perhaps by rolling dice) to decide who should make the first attempt, the first two social interactions go south almost immediately, there's some inter-party conflict that gets shut down by the DM, and the party is generally having a pretty hard time with the quest, but then, after a few lucky breaks, an ethical dilemma, and some good Deception checks, the party retrieves the quest item and even picks up a new player who joins the party. It might be fun to run a D&D adventure based on that, even though the premise, Get Important Item from Wealthy, Unfriendly NPC, is fairly simple.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good Book of Mormon stories that the class will want to discuss, which should eat up what time we have, help us get to know each other, and get us excited to study The Book of Mormon and read the many stories in it.

And all of that is assuming my teaching companion doesn't have a better plan. I think we'll be alright.

No comments: