Thursday, January 9, 2020

God and Water

I'm half-way through a story in which a major plot point is that a large group of people praise a particular deity when they drink water. Reflecting on this, I decided that that's not a bad idea. Water is essential. All life on Earth depends on water for its survival, just as we depend on God. We regularly need to drink water to stave off dehydration, and we regularly need to praise God to stave off sin and secularism. Were I feeling at all clever at the moment, I might even draw some poetic meaning from the phrase "living water" or the idea of the Spirit of God moving upon the face of the waters (Gen 1:2), but I'm too tired for that right now. For now, it's enough for me to know that we need water and we need God, and we can use water to remind us to thank and praise God about as often as we should. So, as often as I remember to, I'm going to praise God whenever I take a drink of water or wash my hands, dishes, or body with water or basically do anything else with water. We drink and use water all the time because it's so good and useful and important. The same is even more true with God.

No comments: