Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Getting Profiled

A student who works for The Express, "Sac City's Student-Run Newspaper," if I'd be willing to let them write a Student Profile about me. Judging by the other profiles I've seen, the article would be short, no more than a page or two, and it would focus on one or two aspects of my life. The question now is which aspect of my life I would want them to focus on.

It could be just about anything, from going to Institute and being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to being a Writing Tutor or playing D&D. I'm not supposed to advertise anything, at least not anything commercial, but other than that, there seems to be some flexibility in what topics are covered.

Granted, since it's a school newspaper, it should probably have something to do with some of the classes I've taken or am taking. The many English classes I've taken can easily apply to being a Writing Tutor. Some of the English and Philosophy classes I've taken can be creatively applied to D&D. And this semester, I'm taking a Religions of the World class, which could be used as an excuse to mention that I'm LDS.

I suppose I really ought to consider my purpose. This could be a good opportunity to draw attention to something I want to promote, whether that's ethics or religion or the Institute or the Writing Center or even D&D.

However, I also don't want to do anything too controversial. This is a fairly Liberal college. I don't want to draw too much attention to how Conservative and Libertarian I am. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, including myself. I can comfortably talk about the Writing Center and how D&D can be used to explore ethics and tell stories with friends, but if I want to talk about the Institute or the Church, I'm going to want to tread carefully so as not to step on anybody's toes.

Knowing me, I'm probably going to chicken out and talk about something safe, like the Writing Center or D&D. If I do D&D, at least I can talk about ethics and the importance of acting ethically, even if I don't get religion or politics involved.

And all of this depends on actually getting the opportunity at all. The student I spoke to only asked me if I'd be willing/interested. He also said that he'd need to talk to his editor about whether they want to write a profile about me or someone else.

If I am chosen, this might be a good opportunity to put myself out there in front of the rest of the school, but whether that's good, bad, or neutral depends largely on which foot I decide to put forward.

No comments: