Monday, January 20, 2020

Thank Them By Name

Last night, I filled out a survey, describing an experience I had when I went to a fast food place not long ago. The experience was that I had been unclear when placing my order. I had wanted two drink items, but the cashier thought that I had wanted one drink item, and then that I had changed my mind and wanted a different item. When I started getting my food, I realized the mistake, and the cashier was very patient and professional in helping me correct it. Overall, it was a good experience, largely because of that cashier. At the end of the survey, the survey asks if there were any employees I want to note for their exceptional service. However, I couldn't. As grateful as I am for that cashier, I failed to catch his name. I wanted to give him some recognition, but now I don't know how I'd recognize him. I can't even remember what he looked like.

Long story short, I missed an opportunity to properly thank someone.  I don't want to make that mistake again. The next time someone does something especially nice for me (and I notice and hopefully remember this pledge), I'm going to try to make sure I know who they are so I can thank them properly, by name. Too often, people don't get the recognition they deserve for the good work they do. The next time, someone does some good work for me, I hope I thank them by name.

No comments: