Friday, October 30, 2020

Asking "Will You" Instead of "Please"

I normally say "please" when I ask for something, especially when the person I'm asking is God. It only makes sense to make it a polite request. But this morning, I tried something different. I asked "will you help me," instead of "please help me."

There are several semantic differences at play here, all adding their own connotative interpretations of what was said. For one thing, it gives God more of an "out," if the answer is "no." "Please help me" is a request that would be rude to refuse, but "will you help me" can be a simple question of fact, akin to asking "will it rain tomorrow," to which a "no" answer is a mere statement of fact, with no moral judgement placed on anyone.

On the other hand, a "yes" answer represents more of a commitment with "will you" than with "please." If someone asks God "will you help me," and God answers "yes," that is a commitment which, we can be certain, God will keep.

There were other reasons I liked "will you" over "please," but it's difficult to think of them right now because I'm tired.

Now, this doesn't mean that I will only as "will you" and never "please" from now on. Both are useful in certain situations. And it may be that "please" still makes more sense than "will you" more often than not. But occasionally, it makes more sense to ask God "will you help me" than "please help me," so I'll probably do it again.

No comments: