Saturday, October 31, 2020

Tenets of Devotion

In D&D, the Paladins are expected to abide by certain tenets, depending on the Oaths they swear. Of these, probably my favorites are the Paladins who swear Oaths of Devotion, and thus are expected to live the Tenets of Devotion, which are listed on page 86 of the Player's Handbook:

Honesty. Don't lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise.
Courage. Never fear to act, though caution is wise.
Compassion. Aid others, protect the weak, and punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your foes, but temper it with wisdom.
Honor. Treat others with fairness, and let your honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as much good as possible while causing the least amount of harm.
Duty. Be responsible for your actions and their consequences, protect those entrusted to your care, and obey those who have just authority over you.

These are fairly decent rules to live by, and they're among the main reasons I like to play a Paladin. I like playing characters with built-in reasons to be good. Granted, any player can just choose to have their character be Good, but I like having a clear, in-game reasons to be Good. This is a large part of the reason why I play a Paladin, particularly a Devotion Paladin, when I get the chance. These tenets are principles that I want to live by, both inside and outside the game. I play a Paladin when I can because I want to live by these standards in real life, and playing a Paladin will hopefully help be do better at being like one in real life.

No comments: