Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Perfect Eventually, Imperfect Now

For our family gospel study tonight, we revisited one of Elder Holland's previous talks, "Be Ye Therefore Perfect - Eventually", and like most Holland talks, it's a good one. He speaks, with some measure of hopeful realism, about the imperfection of mankind and about our need to keep striving for righteousness, despite the inevitability of our imperfection, and our need to seek God's aid in eventually overcoming our imperfection.

This talk, which is well worth revisiting, has reminded me that, while I can never become perfect in one lifetime, by my own merits, I can improve, and during the eternities, with God's help, I can become perfect. I would like to shake off my imperfections, but I accept that that may not happen in this life, so instead, I will do what I can, rely on God's mercy, and try to make an acceptable amount of progress. I won't become perfect any time soon, but I can get better, and that may well be good enough for now.

No comments: