Thursday, October 8, 2020

God Knows the Reasons

When tragedy strikes, we sometimes wonder why. Why did this happen to us? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why is God doing this to me? It's very tempting to dwell on such questions. We think that, if only we knew why this trial had to happen, we might endure it better. But Elder David A. Bednar spoke of someone with a different attitude.

He forthrightly declared that he personally did not understand the reasons or timing for such an event. But I always will remember this good man also declaring that he knew God knew the reasons and timing for the passing of his child—and that was good enough for him.

We don't need to know the reasons why bad things happen. We just need to know that God has His reasons, and trust that God's reasons are good ones. Personally, I like to know the reasons for things, particularly for commandments, but if I trust God enough, I really shouldn't need to. I don't need to know why God gives us certain trials and commandments, so long as I remember that God has our best interest at heart and trust that, so long as we follow Him, He'll make sure everything will work out.

Sometimes, only God knows why things are the way things are, but as long as we trust God, we can learn to be okay with not knowing the reasons why.

No comments: