Sunday, August 1, 2021

Distance

This evening, I had a nice visit with my family. But the thing is, I wasn't with my family the whole time. I am an introvert. I find social situations draining, particularly those that involve long, loud conversations. Over time, I feel my patience wear thin, and then I generally withdraw from the family gathering into a quieter room, where I just sit in peace for a while. The same thing happens at church. Church is filled with friendly, social people whom I endeavor to avoid. Today, I felt a deeper connection to God by sitting a moderate distance away from others and largely ignoring what everyone else was discussing. I've found it helpful, in many circumstances, to maintain my distance and keep my cool.

Personally, I'm glad that I know this about myself. I know what sorts of situations are difficult for me, and I know how to deal with them. It may be considered rude or anti-social, but for me, it's important for me to be able to remove myself from situations before I make them worse. There have been times when I've forced myself to stay in a situation longer than I should have, and I tend to get heated in those situations. Personally, I think it's much better to keep calm and maintain a comfortable distance.

No comments: