Thursday, August 19, 2021

More Holiness - Pride in His Glory

One of my recently rediscovered favorite hymns is Hymn 131: More Holiness Give Me. There are many good and profound lines in that hymn, and I may eventually blog about them, but for tonight, I want to focus on one that gave me pause the other day: "More Pride in His Glory."

Naturally, my first thought was "Isn't Pride a bad thing?" But then I remembered that it's possible to take pride in something without being proud about it. So I wonder, how can we take pride in the Lord's glory?

Normally, when I think of being proud of something, the concept usually means being proud of an accomplishment, but the Lord's glory isn't any accomplishment of ours.

However, we can also be proud of other people. Maybe we can be proud of God in a similar way that we can be proud of our parents, children, siblings, or friends. We may not have contributed to their accomplishments, but we can be proud of them for having achieved them. I'm not certain if that's the kind of pride we should have, but it's the best guess I've got.

I'm not completely sure what "pride in His Glory" means or why we should have more of it, and it's probably something I should ponder and study until I figure more of it out. I just thought I should bring the question to you as well, so you can also ponder the phrase and it meaning.Maybe we'll figure it out together, or maybe each of us will figure out a piece of it and share that insight with everyone.

I'm confident that, given time, we can figure out why we should have "More Pride in His Glory," but I'm afraid that I'm not going to figure it out by myself tonight.

No comments: