Tuesday, August 24, 2021

The Challenge of Turning a Knob

Some video games (and real-life pursuits, probably) have the philosophy that the more a person struggles to obtain or accomplish something, the more they will cherish that thing. For example, games like Hollow Knight and Cuphead have some ridiculously difficult bosses and challenges, probably with the intention of making the players feel skilled and powerful when they overcome those challenges. Granted, I wouldn't know. I've never played either of those games. However, this afternoon, I had an experience that probably comes close to mimicking those experience.

My friend's aunt needed help with a handful of projects around her house, including a plumbing project, and the first step in that project (after assessing the needs of the project and acquiring all the necessary parts and materials) was shutting off the water line so we could get to work. And I couldn't do it. I was shown the water line, identified the correct knob to turn, killed all the bugs in my way, and used all my strength against the knob, but it wouldn't turn. I had a monkey wrench that would have made turn the knob a breeze, but I couldn't get a grip or the right leverage, and the knob was way too tough to turn by hand. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to talk to some experts, and with the help of their expert advice and some borrowed tools, I was finally able to turn the knob, and finally getting that knob to turn felt pretty dang good.

Long story short, I turned a knob. But if it had been easy to turn that knob, it wouldn't have been such an experience. It wouldn't have taught me the importance of seeking good advice and using proper tools because I wouldn't have needed them. Because the task was difficult, I got to have the experience of facing obstacles and overcoming them, only to admit my own limitations and walk away having accomplished nothing, only to return with the knowledge and tools I needed to succeed, and ultimately succeeding. Without that difficulty, I would have just turned the knob and gotten on with the rest of the project, having experienced nothing.

Frankly, this whole knob-turning experience seems like it could be a sort of microcosm of a personal challenge I've been struggling with. Perhaps those video games and other experiences aim to accomplish something similar. They present us with several, small, difficult tasks, perhaps in an attempt to teach perseverance, planning, determination, and ultimately confidence. These miniature challenges teach us that we can defeat our challenges, and they sometimes give us ideas how. I now have some idea how to proceed with my personal challenge, in part because of the lessons I've learned while facing the challenge of turning a knob.

So, I'm glad that turning that knob was a challenge this afternoon. I feel like I've gained something by overcoming it.

No comments: