Sunday, August 22, 2021

More Holiness - Joy in His Service

One of the lines of Hymn 131, More Holiness Give Me, speaks of "Joy in [the Savior's] service." I am fortunate to be able to partake of this joy frequently and to actually take joy in it. I enjoy serving the Lord by serving others, and I enjoy serving others on His behalf. I'm lucky enough to be able-bodied and moderately skilled at making minor home repairs, and on most days, I have a decent amount of time and energy I can spare. I am capable of helping others, and I'm glad that my friends and family know that. A lot of the time, I am genuinely happy to help.

Granted, I don't always feel joy when I'm called upon to serve others. There are times when service seems tedious, thankless, or ineffectual. I vacuum the church building every week, and every Sunday, I find patches of carpet that need to be vacuumed again. It's almost disheartening. But thankfully, I also enjoy vacuuming. It's satisfying to see a mess and suck it up into a vacuum. The cleanliness may not last, but the act of cleaning is kinda fun.

I'm grateful that, even though there are times when I don't enjoy doing service, there are also times when I do. I'm grateful to have learned how to find fun and satisfaction in acts of service. Of course, I will never turn down an offer for more joy, but I'm glad that service is something that I already enjoy.

No comments: