Saturday, August 14, 2021

Worried about Nothing

Tonight, I attended a powwow, and it seemed pretty nice. Before going, I had been nervous about it, but it turned out to be a pleasant and enjoyable evening. As it turned out, I needn't have worried.

It may be true that worrying is often a waste of time and energy. Worrying isn't really helpful, and it sometimes isn't even warranted. If you're worried about something, it would make sense to do something about it, to prepare for it, or to try to avoid it. Beyond that, I'm not sure what purpose worrying serves.

Worrying doesn't change future experiences; it just predicts that future situations will be bad, and it prompts you to feel as though the situation had already happened. Worrying causes distress in the present, caused by events that may or may not take place in the future.

So, I'm going to try to worry less in the future, not because I don't think the worrying events will happen, but because worrying about them won't do me any good.

No comments: