Tuesday, December 14, 2021

As Much Help As Needed

In my Business class, we learned about several management styles, including a management style that's really multiple styles rolled into one. This style assesses the abilities and needs of the team and then employs a style ranging from Directing to Coaching to Supporting to Delegating, depending on how much guidance and support the team members need. The idea is to give the team members as much direction as they need while giving them as much freedom and responsibility as they can handle.

This, I believe, is a good way to managed leadership responsibilities and the management of team members. Different people need different amounts of help with various aspects of their lives and at different times. Personally, I like it when I feel like I'm being given the amount of help that I need. I like getting the support I need, and I like it when I and others are confident that I can be trusted to work well, even with less direction. Sometimes, I need more help with certain things, and sometimes I can do better with less. It's all about finding the right balance and adjusting that balance as needed.

I should learn to do the same with my work. I'm a writing tutor, and some of my students need more assistance and/or support than others. I should adjust my tutoring method to fit my students, just as I hope my leaders (including God) adjust their methods for me.

We all need different amounts of help in different areas at different times. The best leaders provide their people with whatever amount of help they need.

No comments: