Friday, December 10, 2021

The Spirit of the Rule

It's late. I'm late. But I've had good reasons. I had work this morning that went into the afternoon, and then I had other plans that took up my afternoon and into the evening. Now, it's late into the evening, and I have yet to blog. But I am slightly comforted in the knowledge that I am currently blogging about as early as I could have. The letter of the rule to blog earlier has been violated, but the spirit of the rule has not. I'll count that as a win.

In moral cases (though perhaps not in legal cases), the spirit of a rule matters much more than the letter. Granted, it is far better to obey both the letter and the spirit of the rule, but writing a thoughtful blog post as early as possible at 10:50 pm is probably better than wasting a whole morning doing nothing, typing out a quick blog post at 11:50 am, and squeaking it out just before noon.

Of course, I will try to follow both the letter and the spirit of the rule, but if I had to choose between doing one or the other, I hope I would choose the spirit.

No comments: